Praise

"Pletcher and Bartolameolli are undisputed experts on the subject of co-sex addiction.  They know more about it than anyone I know and have presented  an expose that with great clarity supersedes anything I have read before."

– John Bradshaw

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Telling our stories....

One of the things that we are told to do in 12 step circles is to "tell our story." Telling our story breaks the silence and allows us to feel our feelings and heal. In our speaking aloud what happened to us, we are able to be received by the hearts of those who witness our telling. This is similar to other support circles, therapist/patient relationships and even the "witnessing" that happens in some churches when we speak of a spiritual awakening. It is an essential piece for coming into the light and experiencing the freedom of recovery.

I've been asked to tell my story in a particular environment for the purpose of highlighting the power of recovery. It's been a long time since I've done this and I find myself stirred up a bit emotionally. I think this is part of the power in our healing. When we speak aloud what has been challenging or painful in our lives, it becomes real. In its realness, we can see if from a new perspective. Even if we have been working the 12 steps for awhile, each time we tell our story, it allows a deeper healing for us. We learn more about ourselves. Not only do we see the maladaptive behavior patterns that we took on as a result of the co-dependency and addiction in our environment, but we can begin to see new ways to interact with our world. We also see our own progress and how far we have come. We have a choice about our behavior and our relationships with others. We can take the values from our family of origin that resonate with us today and leave what does not. Our journey of emotional and spiritual intelligence is vibrant and fluid.

Telling our stories offers the opportunity for compassion. We see ourselves in one another. We are able to receive their compassion and also see our own stories with compassion for those who did the best they could. We see our own progress when we tell our stories and are able to see how the tools of the 12 steps, meetings, sponsorship and a spiritual program can and will transform our lives.

A friend in recovery has often said, "When I compare myself to others, I always fall short. When I compare myself to myself, I see how far I've come." This is the greatest gift of telling our story.

Blessings to you as you find loving hearts to hold your stories,

Sally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home